Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Background

“All things are created twice. There's a mental or first creation, and a physical or second creation to all things.”
-Stephen Covey

I'm building a Herreshoff/Gardner Rowboat for my family to mess about in and (perhaps more importantly) to steep my kids in the notion that a person can do anything if they find the right books.

I love spending time in boats. I'm partial to canoes, believing that a boat is used in inverse proportion to it's weight. Most of my time afloat has been spent in a Redbird my dad built (published in the original Canoecraft). It's a great design, able to haul a lot of weight, and for years I really enjoyed it. When I had a couple of kids I discovered a problem. The payload was increasing, but nobody else was paddling. Even my wife had developed the tendency to watch the scenery go by and rarely dip a blade in the water. It was hard to generate enough force to get a 300+ pound load underway, or turn it once it was moving. I decided that a rowboat would approach the minimalist experience of the canoe, but would give me a mechanical advantage to help drive us forward.

Herreshoff Rowboat (Not mine, not Green Machine)

Three years ago we took a family vacation to Mystic Seaport and I tried rowing some peapods and their Herreshoff/Gardner Rowboat Green Machine. The peapods were nice, and certainly more stable, but Green Machine was so easily driven that I was sold. Loaded with the four people in my family plus my father she rowed with absolute grace and ease. I knew this was the boat to build. I already had the plans and I was ready to buy materials and get started...


Then we moved.
Then we had another baby.

Finally this year I got underway.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Huge undertaking but so worth it, I do Crew for SLU now and during the season I am on the water 5-7 days a week and it does more for me than anything else, just gliding across the water and watching the sun come up on the lake. Good luck, hope to see you soon!
    Mike Huggins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike. When she's finished maybe you can give me a real oarsman's opinion of how she handles.

    ReplyDelete